Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Preschool

My little Mikey will be starting "preschool" at home soon. We have been doing things but not anything that is planned or lessons. Lapbooks here and there and mostly teachable moments with whatever is handy. I thought I'd let him in on the fact that he was going to be starting school at home soon. BAD IDEA!! I guess he is still a little traumatized from his previous "real preschool" experience. He was in daycare for a year and a half before I pulled him out. It was traumatizing to me to leave him the way he was behaving. It took about 2 months to get him to some reasonable state. The daycare wasn't bad, the teacher was a little harsh but not "mean".

My plan is to gradually increase the things we do that are "educational". I have a bit of a Charlotte Mason mind set so I really have no intention of having him sit over books etc all day! I want it to be fun and mostly hands on. My goal is to have him to a schedule and routine by the time he turns 4 in March. My idea of a full schedules is maybe 2 hours a day split up so he doesn't even know he is learning.

I have a bunch of resources. Some on the computer, some printed and some stored items for teaching. I want to make some more things to that there are more activities for him. And of course I have a wish list of things I'd like to get for him too. As I get started I will be sharing all the stuff I'm doing. I have found some good resources on line.

Ok, I'm obviously more exited about doing this than he is so I am being a little covert with it all! LOL He will love it when he gets going. I just hope I can keep things the way I want them. I don't want to feel pressured to have him learn a certain amount and to do everything everyday that is planned. I want to be flexible, besides, I don't have to really do school until he turns 7. (compulsory school attendance age in NC)

No comments:

Post a Comment